Remember, remember the 5th of November, when it's suddenly acceptable for members of the public to handle explosives and set fire to stuff!

As a landlord, it’s probably a good idea to check your insurance policy, and set expectations with your tenants. If you don’t want them to have a bonfire or fireworks in your garden you need to discuss it - or the basic safety measures you expect them to take.

The Fire Service estimates that each year there’s hundreds of thousands of pounds of damage to properties in the UK on and around Bonfire Night. Some of the most common damage includes shattered windows and fire spreading to outbuildings or sheds.

So here’s our Simple Guide to Bonfire Night:

Set fireworks rules

  • It will always be safer to attend an organised display - but if your tenants want to let off a few bangers in the garden, just ask them to make sure they buy fireworks that are suitable to the size of your garden, and remind them of the Firework Code:
    1. Plan your firework display to make it safe and enjoyable.
    2. Keep fireworks in a closed box and use them one at a time.
    3. Read and follow the instructions on each firework using a torch if necessary.
    4. Light the firework at arm's length with a taper and stand well back.
    5. Keep naked flames, including cigarettes, away from fireworks.
    6. Never return to a firework once it has been lit.
    7. Don't put fireworks in pockets and never throw them.
    8. Direct any rocket fireworks well away from spectators.
    9. Never use paraffin or petrol on a bonfire.
    10. Make sure that the fire is out and surroundings are made safe before leaving.

Think burglars

  • Burglars are busy on Bonfire Night, with people out at displays and lots of noise to cover up their activities. Make sure your tenants are aware and take basic security measures if they’re not going to be home.

Check your insurance policy

  • Most landlord insurance policies will cover damage caused by fireworks, but it’s worth checking the terms of your cover now so you can work with your tenants accordingly.
  • Most policies will also have personal liability cover in case someone gets hurt at your property.
  • Not everyone uses fireworks responsibly, so it’s worth checking your policy for both accidental damage and malicious damage by tenants or their guests.
  • You may be able to purchase extra cover from your insurance company if you feel you need to – just pick up the phone and ask.