The Simple Landlords guide to floods this Winter
Last year at Simple, floods caused more than £642,000 worth of damage. An average claim cost more than £14,000.
The year before saw even worse flooding - and by the end of the Winter 2015 the cost of flooding in the UK was estimated to have breached the £5bn barrier. Many homeowners and businesses were underinsured and unprepared.
Even if your property is not in a high risk area, it’s well worth keeping an eye on the weather forecast, and having a plan in place. Even localised, flash flooding can cause significant damage to your building and contents.
So here’s our Simple guide to help you prepare for flooding.
Check your insurance policy
- Make sure your policy is up to date, and covers your property building and contents for flooding.
- Keep your paperwork handy and store useful contact numbers in your phone.
Keep an eye on the weather
- If there are severe weather warnings in your area keep a close eye on things as they develop.
- There’s an online flood warning site provided by the government which will give you live updates -
- If you are in a high risk area, it might be worth having some sand bags and vent guards on the property,
and making sure your tenants know how to use them.
Talk to your tenants
- Remind tenants their possessions are not covered by your landlords contents insurance! They may wish
to look at their own insurance options.
- Make sure your tenants also know how to turn off the electricity, gas and water.
- If the water starts getting close, you might ask your tenants to move valuable items upstairs, if they can.
- Make sure your tenants are ready to evacuate if they are told to do so by the Environment Agency.
- If your property does flood, it’s important to act fast once the water has receded and you can safely
return to the property.
- Make any emergency repairs immediately to stop the damage from getting any worse, but call your
insurance company as soon as possible to keep them informed.
- Take pictures of the damage so your insurance company can see what’s going on.
We want to add value to landlords with interesting news and views! Our Hub includes information and opinions on the housing market from a variety of expert sources – please just be aware it doesn’t always reflect Simple’s opinion, or the products and services we provide.