Malicious and Accidental Damage Cover

Landlords Accidental And Malicious Damage Insurance

Malicious and Accidental Damage Cover

Get protection for everyday household mishaps with accidental damage, or for more and deliberate damage that’s been done by your tenants, with malicious damage cover.

Accidents happen, and sadly sometimes so do things that are intentional… With our cover, you don’t have to dip into your own pocket to pay for it.

  • Call 0808 172 5600

  • Open Mon-Fri 9am-5.30pm - for a chat.

What does accidental damage insurance cover?

Our Accidental damage insurance covers:

  • Cover for any accidental damage to your property or contents, right up to the limit of your buildings or contents insurance

What does malicious damage insurance cover?

Our malicious damage cover includes:

  • Up to £5,000 worth of malicious damage caused by tenants
  • Up to £5,000 for items stolen by tenants
  • Cover for internal structure damage – for instance holes in walls or ripped out pipework.

Things we don’t cover

  • Accidental damage by pets - if you choose to let pets into your property please be aware we can’t cover scratched curtains and doors, urine-stained carpets, or other pet-based damage!
  • We can’t cover damage that’s happened when the building has been unoccupied for more than 60 days. Unloved and empty buildings are more likely to get hurt - sorry
  • We can’t cover damage from dry or wet rot, fungus or vermin
  • We can’t cover any damage that’s done during building work, or your own (or your tenants) DIY efforts.

For more information please take a look at the full policy documents - which show exactly what you’ll be covered for.

Accidental and malicious damage insurance is an optional cover for landlords. Accidental damage cover means you can make a claim to replace or repair stuff that gets broken in your property. Malicious damage cover will also cover you for any intentional damage caused by your tenants.

Accidental and malicious damage will help ease costs in the event of damage occurring to your property. It isn’t a legal requirement, but it’s important to remember that some damage can leave you liable to pay out a lot of money. If you only purchase accidental damage insurance and your legal tenants deliberately do damage, you won’t be covered unless you’ve also got malicious damage cover.

Things like a tenant leaving the straighteners on and putting a burn in your carpet, pulling down a curtain rail by slightly-too-vigorous drawing, or just spilling a glass of red wine over your sofa. All are household accidents, but being left to replace a carpet or pay for upholstery cleaning can get expensive, fast.

Malicious damage usually only occurs when there’s some sort of disagreement or dispute with your tenants. We’ve seen tenants pull out wiring and piping, smash windows, kick in kitchen units, or throw paint over whole rooms. A lot of damage can be done in a very short time, and putting it right can also be expensive.

Related landlord insurance products
Landlord Building Insurance
Landlord building insurance
Landlord Contents Insurance
Landlord contents insurance
Landlord Multiple Properties Insurance
Multi property landlord insurance
Landlord Home Emergency Cover
Landlord home emergency cover