If your tenant has defaulted on their rental payment, would you be able to cover the cost of your mortgage repayments - or other costs - which their rent usually covers?
Our Rent guarantee product provides cover so that you won’t be out of pocket.
Our Rent guarantee includes:
- Up to £2,000 a month to cover your rent for up to 12 months
- You choose the level based on the amount of rent your tenants normally pay
- Up to £5,000 of legal cover for the eviction of tenants - which we’ll manage on your behalf
- Access to a 24 hour legal helpline - to support you to deal with rent disputes, arrears, and evictions
- Cover for all unpaid rent except for the first month owed (which is usually covered by the tenant deposit) until the tenant is evicted
- Cover for existing tenants, provided you got a tenant reference at the start of their tenancy
- Cover for existing tenants, even if they don’t have references, after the first 90 days of your policy. (So if there’s 3 months without incident, your policy will then kick in, or if they’ve been in long-term without issues, you may not have to wait at all).
What we need from you:
- Any new tenants must be referenced
- Tenant references must confirm that the tenant can actually meet the monthly rental commitment, must include two forms of identification (one with a photo), and must show they have no outstanding or closed CCJs (County Court Judgements) in the last three years.
Things we won’t cover:
- We can’t cover things that happened before you took out Rent guarantee insurance with us
- We can’t cover you if your tenants have a history of not paying their rent
- Claims in the first 90 days where you didn’t obtain a reference for a new tenant
- Claims where the amount in dispute is less than £250 - because it’s really not worth the time and expense of getting solicitors involved
- Claims where there is less than 2 months’ rent in arrears.
Our Rent guarantee costs £79.99 for 12 months - less than £7 a month.
If you want to take out our extra Legal expenses policy (which takes you from £5,000 cover to up to £50,000 cover for legal fees), that brings the price for your Rent guarantee down to around £5.50 a month.